Digital Media

The antidote for all your Digital Media needs

Monday, November 13, 2006

Problems with saving MXD's in Arcview

I am having a lot of problems with Arcview. I have been working on Assignment 11 (CAD files in Arcview) but it will not save my .mxd file. Everytime I try to save I get "Arcview has encountered a problem and has to close" and the Microsoft error report. Then when I reopen the .mxd file says it cannot open the template. The file does open but it has reverted to the initial creation of point and polygon shapefiles (although they are missing and have red exclamation points) not the final version where the point and polygons have been joined. Before this mess, I did finish the assignment and exported the final polygon layer that has been joined to point data into the GIS folder in Public. The problem is I can't access the .mxd file with the finished polygon layer for the next part of the assignment: joining survey data to shapefile.

1 Comments:

Blogger John Hinchman said...

If you are having troubles with MXD's you are not alone. MXD's are often difficult and the truth is that even if you save it you may still not really be getting what you think you are. The MXD files at this level are really not the most importnat issue. Strangely the natural computer instinct with pretty much all softwares is to go to FILE > SAVE AS, with the result being the retention of all of your very valuable information. Truth is that the really valuabe information is retained in the Shapefiles and not really the MXD's. Now that statement is not entirely true becasue MXD's do serve a valuable purpose, but at this level of work the most important thing to think about is saving the Shapefiles somwhere where you can easily locate them. Each time you return to the ArcGIS software, just open it up with a blank screen and add your shapefiles to the screen. With your shapefiles added to the screen, oddly you are almost right back to where you were when you shut down the software the last time. The only thing that is not retained is the coloring, labeling etc, which makes the maps look the way you want them.

11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home