Digital Media

The antidote for all your Digital Media needs

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Step 15 in Getting CAD into ARCView

I FIGURED OUT THE FIRST PART!

Hi there.

I have a question about the data I should be exporting within my line and poly shp files. There are no addresses in my point file; they only exist in my poly file. So, I exported the FIDs in both the point and shp files and the addresses in the poly file. Is that correct? Since the exported files have appeared in my TOC, should I go ahead and delete the original shp files, or should I wait?

As a clean-up issue, I'm wondering if I should delete my 'Elevation' and 'Thickness' columns within the data. I also found a duplicate FID column in both shp files which contains 0 all the way down. Should I delete that as well?

Thankythanky,
Andrea

1 Comments:

Blogger John Hinchman said...

In reponse to this you first need to recognize that you do not need your polyline shapefile from any sourse other than the original centerline file. polylines are not being used with the buildings. If you are not getting addresses in your point shapefile then there is something wrong with your point shapefile. Additionally the addresses in your poly shapefile are attached to the triangles which came in from AutoCAD and are not attached to the proper polygons within the file. If you are not getting addresses in your point shapefile then you are also not getting your unique ID's in your point shapefile which brings up a bigger issue since the unique ID's are required and the only source for them is from the block attributes that you applied in a past CAD assignment. Since you don't have your addresses in your point file you can try to break the building polygons into their own individual poly shapefile and do the same with the triangles in which case you will be left with two separate poly shapefiles, one with the building outlines and the other with the triangles. In thecase of the buildings there will be no addresses and in the case of the triangles there will be addresses but they will be in the wrong shapefile (needing to be in the building shapefile). at this point you can try to spatially join the data from the triangles to the buildings the same way the the assignment explaind how to join the point data to the polygons using the spatiol join option. I have tried this in the past with limited success. An alternative is to make sure that your computer has the X-tools extension I provided in the course folder loaded so that you can use the shape to centroid option on the triangle polygons resulting in a point shapefile which contains the data from the triangles. Now you can join that data spatially from the points to the building polygons and see if the data is now linked.

Ideally the best solution for this problem is to return to the CAD file and make sure that you correct the address and ID issues before you get to the step you are on now.

The FID's are doing nothing for you at this point. They are values that ArcGIS has assigned the same way that ACCESS can assign a unique value if you ask it to. The numbers will not necessarily reflect their proper matching counterpart in another table. The only assured linkage between the shapefiles and the tables you are dealing with will be the addresses and the Unique ID's you assigned in assignment 10.

As for the clean up issue please reread step 14 in assignment 11, but in response to the FID issue the only FID you will ever need in these assignment is the one on the extreme left side of the table called FID. you will not need FID_, FID_1, FID_2, etc.etc.etc..

9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home